Tie the knot Pork shoulder
Meat Masterclass | Gusto Charcoal BBQ | Mike Malloy
Pork shoulder is a classic roasting joint. But when prepared properly using Mike Malloy’s secret butcher’s knot and then smoked to perfection in the Grillo Gusto BBQ, the results are stupendous.
Like a bit of pork with your crackling?
Serves: 10-12 Difficulty: Medium BBQ: Grillo Gusto Time: 6-8 hours
All the ideas, no gear?
Gusto Charcoal BBQ
The Grillo Gusto BBQ is charcoal-fired, with thick ceramic walls that retain heat, smoke and moisture – resulting in incredible flavours, succulence and tenderness. A true centrepiece in your outdoor kitchen.
Grillo Vantage outdoor kitchen
Grillo Vantage is a design led outdoor kitchen, blending iroko hardwood with beautifully finished carbon steel. Choose from pre designed layouts, or configure your own design online. Get started below!
Tie the knot Pork shoulder Method:
• Roll & knot your pork shoulder
• Trim the ends of the joint to keep consistent density
• Cook for 20 minutes over high direct heat
• Add soaked Applewood chips or log to your BBQ
• Place heat deflectors in BBQ, and transfer meat to a skillet
• Smoke for a further 5-6 hours over low indirect heat
• Rest for 30-60 minutes before carving
• Great as a Sunday roast, or as pulled pork sandwiches
• Serve with apple sauce and a hearty sausage meat stuffing
Recipe contributor: Mike Malloy
Join us in the Grillo kitchen studio with Mike Malloy, founder of Malloy’s Craft Butchery. Meat lover and BBQ enthusiast, Mike has over 16 years of experience as a professional butcher, having joined the trade at 12 years old. He specialises in craft butchery and farms some of his own beef, including a Jersey-wagyu cross coined ‘Jagyu’.
In Mike’s own words: “I LOVE meat.” His juicy stories and meat masterclass tips will keep you entertained, and his “secret butcher’s steaks” are worth their weight in Wagyu… check out the full Grillo’d series online!